There are times when you just need to get dinner sorted with minimal fuss, but still want to make something homemade. This slow cooker chicken sausage casserole is perfect for those occasions, but still healthy and full of flavour!
I love this recipe because the only preparation that’s really required is browning the sausages. If you have a sear and stew slow cooker, you can do this in the same pot that everything cooks in, saving on the washing up too.
The first time I gave this to my son (Mummy was away for a few nights) he said “I LIKE THESE SAUSAGES”. Anyone with a toddler will know it’s a – stressful getting them to try new things, and b – how brutally honest they are.
He scoffed the lot and asked for more. That feedback is good enough for me!
What’s in Chicken Sausage Casserole?
There are a few different brands of chicken sausages available in the UK. For this recipe we used Heck Chicken Italia sausages, which are low in fat and gluten free.
The sauce is a simple tomato sauce, with the addition of a tin of “mixed beans”. In the UK most supermarkets sell these tins, they consist of a mix of any or all of the following (don’t be afraid to experiment!):
- Haricot beans
- Borlotti beans
- Cannellini beans
Don’t forget my not-very-secret addition of smoked paprika. I find this really gives an extra depth to the flavour.
Tips for a great Chicken Sausage Casserole
- Brown the sausages – Browning the sausages kicksstarts the Maillard Reaction which adds to the flavour, and gives the sausages a better bite once cooked.
- Gently fry the onions and garlic – whilst we state it’s optional in the recipe card, slowly frying the onion and garlic before adding the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker will add a lovely natural sweetness to the dish.
- Sauce consistency – a casserole won’t reduce whilst being slow cooked like they do in the oven. Ensure the consistency of your casserole is correct once you’ve added all of your ingredients to the slow cooker.
Can you freeze slow cooker Chicken Sausage Casserole?
Absolutely – in fact, this recipe is a great make-ahead dinner that can be pre-prepped and kept in the fridge for three days, or in the freezer for up to three months.
If you’re prepping in advance, portion the casserole using a mug before freezing. One mug of sauce and three to four sausages is perfect for one person.
When reheating, ensure that the casserole is piping hot all the way through before serving.
More Easy Prep Dinners
Slow Cooker Chicken Sausage Casserole
- 16 Heck Chicken Italia Sausages
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 400 g mixed beans drained
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅓ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Quickly brown the sausages in a pan over a medium heat, then transfer to the slow cooker. In the same pan, soften the onions and garlic, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the flour into the slow cooker, stirring to ensure an even coating. Add all of the dried herbs and spices, salt, pepper, carrots and tomato puree. Pour in the tinned tomatoes, chicken stock, mixed beans and stir well. Drop in a bay leaf.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or 6 on low.
- Serve with good crusty bread!